Sunday, February 17, 2013

Chocolate Truffle Buttercream

A month ago my niece Zah turned 14 and delicious birthday cupcakes were definitely in order. Zah has been a chocolate fiend since she was a baby and I knew something super chocolatey and delicious was in order. I decided to make two batches of cupcakes both chocolate (just used a basic chocolate cake recipe) one with a white chocolate cream cheese buttercream and the other batch topped with what I call chocolate truffle buttercream.

A few years ago before I realized that I could make my own frosting recipe I found the William Sonoma Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on their website. I fell in love with it. Rich, delicious, easy to make, easy to pipe. For this occasion I was looking for something a bit richer so I decided to sub out the milk and replace it with....heavy whipping cream. The change was out of this world delicious! It was like eating the filling of a delicious, wonderful truffle. If you are looking for a boring regular non rich chocolate buttercream go ahead and make it with the milk instead of the heavy cream, I promise not to judge you.

It's unsweetened but I still want to dive in


At first I didn't use quite enough cream and the frosting was really thick and I had piping issues. I usually use the Wilton 1M tip but I could not get it to work. So I brought out a different tip and the results were what I call...the dog poop swirl cupcake. I quickly snapped a picture and sent it to my partner in blog Brandi because I knew only she could appreciate the dog poop swirl. Once I thinned it out a bit more with some more cream it would have been easy to use the traditional 1M but I didn't want to fill another bag so I just went ahead and embraced the dog poop swirl.

 
It's delicious but it looks like...well yeah

I decided to just go with some sprinkles for decorations as I could get my niece to give me any information on what she wanted beyond chocolate. On the cream cheese buttercream cupcakes I originally placed a chocolate covered gummi bear but...yeah there is a theme here it looked like poop. So I took them off and ate them. I figured there was enough poop happening and no reason to pump it up. This was supposed to be an appetizing blog post but now I fear I mentioned poop too many times. oops. To distract you I will once again plug one of my favorite sprinkle sites Sweet! Baking Supply. I will also show off my super arty pictures that I took of my sprinkles.

Ooooh Arty!

The white chocolate cream cheese buttercream cupcakes were equally as delicious. Just a basic recipe I just kind of throw in whatever I have around the house. I like to do half salted butter and half unsalted butter I really think it gives it more depth. But it's a personal choice I know people who would never even fathom putting salted butter in their frosting and that's okay. Frosting is personal people, make it your own.

Hey, look! No poop! 

As for the chocolate truffle buttercream I mentioned before here is the link to the original recipe from Williams Sonoma. Below is my modified version. Both versions are great...but I am biased towards my own personal version!


Ingredients:

  • 8 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 6 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter
  • 6 Tbs. heavy cream, plus more, if needed
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

 

Directions:

Have all the ingredients at room temperature.

Put the chocolate in the top pan of a double boiler set over but not touching simmering water in the bottom pan. Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Let cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the flat beater, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, the 6 Tbs. heavy cream, the vanilla and salt and beat on low speed until combined, about 1 minute. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes, then reduce the speed to low. Add the chocolate and beat until combined, then increase the speed to medium and beat for 1 minute more.

If the frosting is dry, add more heavy cream, 1 tsp. at a time, until it is creamy but still holds peaks. Makes about 4 1/2 cups.

Now please enjoy a few more pictures of cupcakes, yay cupcakes!

Professional Sprinkle Placer is my day job

Look I have a fancy cupcake plate! For blog pictures!

Shaking things up with stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment